Saturday, October 22, 2011

lean, fast and seamless

"$15 please," the front desk told me at the Registration and Records Office. I am about to get 3 copies of my transcript for my MS. A week before, I have just taken my last exam to conclude my last semester in NC State. The following week will be my graduation. The day after graduation, I will be heading back home to the Philippines. "When will I get a copy of my transcript?," as I handed my ID card to her. Our student ID is actually our ATM/debit card also. She replied, "In 5 minutes, please wait." She went to the rear portion of the office on what looked like a computer terminal with laser printer. As I wait for my document, I can't help but wonder how this office with less than 10 staff can handle records of more than 30,000 undergrads and around 5,000 graduate students.

After a while, she returned with the documents. She apologized for the 10 minutes delay. She handed me the document and explain that our transcript is on a security paper and fresh signatures are not included (like the SECPA of NSO). She further explain that if I photocopy my transcript, a message "This is a Photocopy - NC State" will appear on the photocopy (you cannot see this message on the original. Only on your photocopy. Cool!)

-oOo-

My adviser handed me my personal access code to enter the Registration and Records enrolment portal. I was only given the codes if we agreed on the subjects I will be enrolling in that particular semester. So I went to the computer laboratory and logged in to the school website. I browse the recommended subjects my adviser told me. Some classes are already full. It shows  real time accounting of students who have registered on a particular class. I learned that it will automatically closed upon reaching a certain threshold and only the teacher concerned can opened it back. But what I am impressed with is the systems' capacity to detect CONFLICT of schedules. You cannot proceed with the enrollment process if the system can detect overlaps.

The payment procedure? I only receive a bill a week later with the schedule of payment for every academic program spread throughout the semester.  Not all will be flocking the R&R to pay tuition fees (whew you could imagine 30k+ students if they are on the same sked!). Or for convenience, we were advised to go to a bank or pay through credit card online.

-oOo-

Is it about hardware resources or software skills?

No comments:

Post a Comment